CURRIED COUSCOUS WITH VEGETABLES AND CHICKPEAS
Curried Couscous with Vegetables and Chickpeas
Yield: 6 servings
3 tsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Curry powder
2 1/2 cup Vegetable or other stock
1 cup Couscous
1/2 cup Shallots, quartered
1 ea Carrot, sliced
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
1 cup Snow peas, strings removed
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/2 cup Chickpeas, cooked
1. In a wok or small cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tsp of olive oil over low heat, Remove from the heat and stir in the curry powder. Set aside.
2. Bring 2 cups of stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the curried olive oil mixture and stir. Add the couscous, stir, and cover immediately. Let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place a wok or skillet over high heat for 1 minute. Add the remaining 2 tsp oil. Immediately add the shallot, reduce the heat to medium, and stir-fry until the shallots begin to char, 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the carrot and ginger; stir-fry until they begin to char, 1-2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the peas and stir-fry for 1 minute more. Remove the ginger.
5. Heat the remaining stock, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Add the chickpeas and simmer 2-3 minutes.
6. Combine the couscous, vegetables, and chickpeas with the seasoned stock. Serve hot or warm.